Yield: About 42 cookies
I say “caramelized”, because these cookies have that delicious and rich caramel flavor that lingers on your tongue and packs a serious punch. It’s not your traditional airy and dry honey cookie. If you are looking for a soft, dense, flavorful cookie then this, my friends, is the one for you.
Customize the spices however you like. Ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves– you do you!
Caramelized Honey Cookies
1 cup whole wheat flour (or extra all-purpose)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to taste
1 1/2 sticks margarine
1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup honey
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and any additional spices. Set aside.
- Cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until just incorporated, then mix in the vanilla and honey. Pour in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. It can stay in the fridge for 3 days.
- About half an hour before you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Scoop chilled dough into 1 tablespoon-size balls and roll each ball into sugar. Space no more than 12 cookies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minute, until they still look soft and puffy (mine took 10 minutes exactly). Let cool completely so that they deflate and firm up.