We can all use some comforting superfood in our lives. This soup takes the cake for feeling like you’re eating a hug. It’s hot and hearty, packed with flavor and nutrients for a healthy pick-me-up. As soon as you make it once, you’ll know what I mean.
Hearty Kale and Bean Vegetable Soup
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 bag chopped kale
1 tomato, diced
8 cups vegetable broth
6 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons sugar
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, diced
White pepper, to taste
Paprika, to taste
1 bay leaf
Sprigs fresh parsley and thyme
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Optional for dairy- grated Parmesan for serving
Optional for meat- add cheek meat and marrow bones
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot. Add the onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, add more salt to taste, and cook, stirring often, 20 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced slightly.
- Add the broth, tomato paste, and sugar. Simmer for 1 ½ minutes. Add the potatoes, salt, white pepper, and paprika to taste. Bring to a boil, add the herbs, cover and simmer 20- 30 minutes until the potatoes are just about tender.
- Add the kale. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the kale and potatoes are tender and the soup is fragrant.
- Stir in the beans and chickpeas and heat through for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Serve immediately.
- You can replace the bay leaf and fresh parsley and thyme with 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning.